If you’re moving city due to work or just because you feel like a change of scenery then there’s lots to plan and consider.
A lot of people will not have even visited their new destination before making the move, so getting prepared is essential because there’s a lot of research to do before the big move. One of the biggest things you need to consider is where you’re going to live – this was one of the major things that gave me sleepless nights before I left.
Here are some great little tips for finding a great place to stay that has everything you need.
- Make sure you speak to work colleagues in your new city. Try to get an idea of which is the most popular area, and one that is an easy commute to your workplace.
- Have a clear budget in mind before you get too carried away with finding a dream home. Don’t go over budget because there’s always time in the future to upgrade.
- Chat with a number of different agents – agents are there to find you a property and guide you along the way. So contact as many as possible, essentially you could have a whole team of people looking for the perfect property for you.
- Furnished/Unfurnished – personally I think the best way to go is to get a furnished apartment. You’re going to a new city, there’s lots to adjust to so when you first arrive you don’t want to be spending all your free time in furniture shops.
- Always research online because there’s a wealth of information out there. Once you’ve found the neighborhood you like then start hopping online and see what sort of property you’ll be able to find within your price range.There are several online services that can help you with the search. Nestpick, for example, is a search aggregator for mid to long term rentals and can help you with the flat hunt in Barcelona so be sure to check out Nestpick and many other cities around the world.
- Don’t sign a contract for any longer than a year! Sometimes agents will try to lock you in for as long as possible, but in a new city you don’t want to take that risk because you might want to change place after a year.
- Relax – this is a top tip! Don’t stress too much about your move, everything will go well and you’ll love your new adventure. You will find a great place to live, even if you don’t find it first time you will find it soon!